Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Favorite Time of Year

No, not Christmas.

Not even the holidays. It is the end of year awards doled out by every major music magazine/rag to the top 10 best albums of the year. Usually I get my kicks by seeing how many of them I owned BEFORE reading the lists. This year? 6 out of 10. Not bad right? I mean sure, if I had limitless funds, I'd have owned all of them...well except for one in which I had never heard of. In this article, I will give you the media's top 10 list and I will give you mine on my next post, which will be different, I assure.

10. - Kings of Leon's Only By the Night

I believe I threw up a review for this album, but if I did not, I couldn't quite get into this album. It's tough when you come off sounding less a rock band than even Coldplay. Something about that album didn't gel with me, but it certainly did with a lot of critics out there.

9. Amadou and Miriam - Welcome to Mali

(Quickly purchasing just so I can point to it and say I have the most comprehensive music library on the block.)

8. Portishead - Third

I guarantee this album will be in my top 10 as well. I'm very happy they are getting press for this album.

7. Glasvegas - Glasvegas

6. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

Of course the boys from NY would be on here somewhere. If you've been living under a rock, crawl out and cop this shit.

5. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death And All of His Friends

God damn. Gotta give it up to Chris Martin and his crew. The one time I didn't rush out to grab a Coldplay album. I'm regretting it as I'm catching up on the rest of the world.

4. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

This album might have changed the world that I know it to be. Rightfully in the top 5, MGMT has done much to improve the music scene this year and will for years to come. I'll explain later.

3. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

2. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

If you are a fan of neo-folk and you don't have this album...you are utterly utterly lost. The melodies are so intricate you might think this album took a lifetime to evolve into what it is.

1. TV On the Radio - Dear Science

As far as I'm concerned, they've done it again. The boys from New York have dug quite a nice homestead atop the best albums of the year as Return to Cookie Mountain was widely held the top album of 2006. I don't know if these guys will ever gain widespread success like Band of Horses was able to do, but it's amazing music that is definitely different.


I disagree with a couple of these and you can tell the media is partial to folk/alternative bands with hip/hop getting left on the list completely. That will change as Tha Carter III will hold a spot on my top 10. Check back soon to see how I shake it up a bit.


This. Is. Truth.

No comments: